Thursday, December 18, 2008

Discardia Returns, Just in Time

I've mentioned Discardia in a previous post, but this is definitely the right time for a reminder.

Discardia was the creation of proud "web geek" Dinah Sanders on December 25, 2002, during what must have been a particularly interesting Christmas holiday experience for her. Here's the short explanation (although I highly recommend that you click on the link and read the full story):

"Discardia is celebrated by getting rid of stuff and ideas you no longer need. It's about letting go, abdicating from obligation and guilt, being true to the self you are now. Discardia is the time to get rid of things that no longer add value to your life, shed bad habits, let go of emotional baggage and generally lighten your load."

Discardia is a seasonal holiday, celebrated four times each year during the days between the solstices & equinoxes and their following new moons. So, the winter Discardia of 2008 begins on December 21st. For those who are looking for a simplified holiday season, keeping in mind the Discardian principle of letting go of stuff rather than acquiring more could be very helpful.

Discardia also reminds us that this is supposed to be a season of joy not obligation. So if you're feeling particularly stressed, this is a good time to remember the spirit of the season. Cutting back not only on shopping for gifts, but also on demands on your time and energy, will make the holidays something you anticipate happily rather than something that causes anxiety or even dread.

Whatever holiday you'll be celebrating, I offer my best wishes for health, happiness and peace.

2 comments:

arianebenefit said...

I love it! I am celebrating this early this year...I've been discarding a lot the past month. In fact I tend to do it monthly now. Guess I just like the way it feels!

Cynthia Friedlob said...

Thanks for your comment, Ariane!

I've got sacks of goodies in the back of my car to haul over to my local charity shop tomorrow. We're fortunate to be able to give stuff away at a time when so many people are needing help.