Friday, June 22, 2007

Thank You, Readers

Before this month of June slips away, I'd happily like to acknowledge that it marks the one-year anniversary of the publication of my book, Sorting It Out: One Disorganized Woman Solves the Problem of Too Much Stuff. Thank you, readers, for your support over the past year. I've enjoyed hearing from many of you and I hope you've found that this blog offers you further inspiration to continue your efforts to unclutter and simplify your lives.

I wrote Sorting It Out because I realized that I finally needed to confront my attachment to my stuff and pare down my possessions. Writing helped clarify the process I was going through and, as I've often joked, it was cheaper than therapy. It also allowed me an opportunity to offer solutions to my readers from a uniquely sympathetic point of view. I've had to face the boxes of ancient tax receipts, the crowded clothes closet, the sentimental family heirlooms, and I've learned how to let go of most (no, not all) of the unnecessary things. When I say that I know it can be difficult, but it's worth the effort, I speak from personal experience -- ongoing personal experience, because the influx of stuff doesn't stop once you've "caught up." It's a constant challenge, but it can become a manageable one.

"The Thoughtful Consumer" blog often tackles larger issues than the uncluttering specifics covered in my book, but I think it's important for all of us to remember the big picture. Our society is so stuff-oriented that it's easy to forget that our overcrowded homes and the problems they present us don't exist in a vacuum. And because we're constantly bombarded by advertising that says we need more, we should have more, we'd be much happier if only we would get more, it can be a challenge to support a position that is the exact opposite of that prevailing "wisdom."

Understanding that our individual choices have ramifications that affect other inhabitants of our planet and the planet itself can help keep us motivated to make the changes we need to make, not only for our own peace of mind, but because we want to do something positive for the world. Those choices are not always the same for everyone, but awareness is the first step that can take all of us down a more sensible, sustainable path.

Thanks, book and blog readers, for walking the path with me.

(c) 2007 Cynthia Friedlob

No comments: